Friday, December 31, 2010

Best of the Rest: Richard's picks of 2010

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
There are more than a few complaints floating around that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow isn't a real Castlevania title. I would argue that Lords of Shadow is more Castlevania than many recent entries in the series. I think fans tend to forget (or overlook) that Castlevania began as a linear action title. For me, the series has never been about completing the map. It's about exploring wonderful and sinister places, which Lords of Shadow packs in spades. When I played the 8-bit Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest as a child, I saw lots of blocky pixels, but what I imagined is perfectly represented by Lords of Shadow. From stinking bogs to dark forests and forgotten castles, all is so meticulously and lovingly crafted that my seven-year-old self was enthralled with every moment.

I'll take that over the same 13-year-old sprites any day.

Continue reading Best of the Rest: Richard's picks of 2010

JoystiqBest of the Rest: Richard's picks of 2010 originally appeared on Joystiq on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Vanessa Hudgens Sarah Michelle Gellar Olivia Munn Melissa Sagemiller Roselyn Sanchez

No comments:

Post a Comment